Colostomy Association Patrons:
Melanie Reid is an award-winning journalist. In April 2010, Melanie broke her back and beck falling from a horse. In February 2013, underwent surgery for a colostomy.
Since her accident in 2010, Melanie Reid has been entertaining and inspiring readers with her weekly column in The Times - Spinal Column. In 2011, Melanie Reid was named Columnist of the Year in the British Press Awards and she was awarded broadsheet Columnist of the Year in 2012.
Melanie become a patron of the Colostomy Association in 2015.
Melanie Reid said of her writing: "A lot of people take inspiration from it. You have to try to keep going and tell it like it is."
Professor Bill Heald, OBE, MChir, FRCS
Back in 2008 Professor Bill Heald (one of the most eminent professionals in the colorectal world and Director of Surgery at the Pelican Cancer Foundation based in Basingstoke) agreed to become the President of the Colostomy Association. Since then, in 2003, Professor Heald stood down as President and became our very first Patron. At that time Professor Heald said:
"All human beings are so vulnerable and generally much more private than they may appear - people with stomas are especially vulnerable and often especially private too."
|Honorary and Foreign Positions:|
|- Elected Member of Council, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Vice President, Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Personal Chair, University of Southampton
- Honorary Doctorate University of Linkoping, Sweden
- Honorary Professor of Surgery, University of Belgrade, Yugoslavia
- Honorary Professor of Surgery, University of Leiden, Netherlands
- Honorary Fellowship of Royal Society of Medicine
- Honorary Fellowship of Association of Coloproctology of Great Britain and Ireland
- Honorary Member of German Surgical Society
- Honorary Member of Austrian Society of Surgery
- President, International Colon & Rectal Club
- Surgical Director TIC, Shanghai
- Chairman of Sichuan Gastroenterology Society
- Member d'honneur de l'Association Francaise de Chirurgie
- Honorary Fellowship of the German Medical Society
- Centenary medal of the French Cancer Society
- Honorary Fellowshop of the Swedish Surgical Society
- The Israel Society of Colon and Rectal Surgery
Website designer in Berkshire & Web application development in Berkshire